Wednesday, October 25, 2006

racial profiling by companies

I am unequivocally in support for tougher laws on terrorism, but I thought I was immune to such racial profiling (even though I have a 'middle eastern' name), and I think we need to take a new approach on terrorism whereby innocent people aren't inconvenienced or profiled.

I thought I was immune to such profiling because I haven't done anything to produce such suspicion.

Four months ago PayPal froze my account because my name matched a "security list", meaning a terror list - not because of suspicious activities, because the four transactions I made under $10 would constitute as "suspicious".

After contacting the Bank of England (the bank which PayPal deals with), they were suppose to check the name, address, and other information and see if it match that of mine - PayPal didn't do this, instead their system (i suppose) matches PayPal customer's names with that of those on the list. If they did a proper check they would have known I am not those people on the list.

My "first" and/or "last name" (they wouldn't specify what combination) matched the list, so their system automatically froze my account.

On top of that they made me submit my Passport, and ID to "clear" my name. At first I was reluctant, because of such ridiculous claims, I settled with submitting my driver's license.

My question is this, this is unfair categorizing and targeting an entire race because of the actions of a few. Terrorist shouldn't even be considered the same race or religion, because their actions are not justified by any group, race or religion.

If Western governments all over the world believed this, they would do much more to prevent such stupid actions in ever happening.

I am beyond furious over the embarrassment, predicament, and what I could possible face in the future, just because of my name. Events like Maher Arar scare the pants out of me.

Is there anything I can do, in terms with PayPal, since they did not follow proper procedure, and basically racially profile base on individuals names?

Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home